What Happens During a Sports Physical?
Providers may perform sports physicals differently from one another. But they always include a conversation about your medical history and a physical exam.
Your provider will want to know about your health, your family's health, your medical problems, and what medicines you take.
The physical exam is similar to your annual checkup, but with some added things that relate to playing sports. The provider will focus on the health of your lungs, heart, bones, and joints. Your provider may:
- Measure your height and weight
- Measure your blood pressure and pulse
- Test your vision
- Check your heart, lungs, belly, ears, nose, and throat
- Check your joints, strength, flexibility, and posture
Your provider may ask about:
- Your diet
- Your use of drugs, alcohol, and supplements
- Your menstrual periods if you're a girl or woman